Tragic Death of German Man after over-use of Mosquito Repellent
Elderly German long-term Pattaya resident - Bothered by mosquito bites - Sprays himself with mosquito repellent - Housekeeper warns him many times of the dangers due to cuts on his body but he refuses to listen - Ends up dying on sofa - Police send the body to forensics lab to determine exact cause of death.
At 4:30 pm on the 18th August Police Lieutenant Krittha Prathumkaeo, investigating officer from Pattaya city police station in Chonburi province, received a report that a foreigner had died at 159159/359 Soi Paniet Chang 4, Village 9, Tambon Norngpreu, Amphoe Banglamun in Chonburi Province, so he went to investigate.
At the scene, a two-story townhouse, was discovered the body of German national Mr Hans Peter Bonn, 63, lying dead on a sofa in the downstairs living room. He was wearing just a pair of boxer shorts. There were no visible signs of violence on his body, just several cuts on his arms and body. It is estimated that he had been dead for between 2-4 hours.
Questioning Mrs Oosah Phadungphot, 46, the daily housekeeper, it was revealed that the deceased had lived there for many years and had a Thai wife living in Germany. The deceased had left the house at 10:00 am and returned later to rest. "When he lay down on the sofa he always left instructions not to be disturbed but I noticed that something was wrong because he looked really off-colour. I called a friend to take a look and we then realised he was dead".
Mrs Oosah added that since she had been employed there as a maid she had often noticed him spraying himself with mosquito repellent. "I had warned him it was dangerous because there were cuts on his body, but he took no notice."
Officials took various items from the house as evidence and sent the body for an autopsy to the Police General Hospital to determine the exact cause of death.